SMEs ranking on Google, difficult to get on top
For SMEs, it is quite difficult, despite a good SEO, see their website ranked on the top places of SERPS (search engine page results) of Google or any other search engine for main keywords related to its field of activity. Indeed, big companies and big brands have a distributor or dealer network, with websites which are linking to the website of the brand, thus improving rankings of the brand website. Even the mention of a brand name on a website or in an online news article improves the ranking of the brand’s site. So if for example I am a small chocolate maker that sells chocolates on the Web, how can I make my way to the front pages of Google results, congested with major brands sites? That’s the good news:
The first places in SERPS for keywords that provide the most sales are accessible to SMEs
To return to the example of the chocolate, you probably think that if the site could get top rankings for keywords like “dark chocolate” or “milk chocolate”, it could increase its sales considerably. In fact, if I live in Dallas and want to buy a box of chocolates or handmade chocolates, it is very unlikely that I search on Google for “chocolate”. I will probably search for “handmade chocolates,” and most likely, I’ll try “handmade chocolates Dallas”, taking into account that:
1. if my chocolate box must be sent from Denver or another distant city, there is a good chance that chocolates will be negatively affected by cold or hot temperatures during transport
2. if I find a chocolate web site that suits me, not far from my usual route, I prefer to buy them in person to avoid port fees and visit the shop
3. if I really like that chocolate, a chocolate shop in Dallas allows me to return and advise friends
4. those who are simply looking “chocolates” on search engines, are chocolate manufacturers looking for ideas, curious or gluttons, but rarely people who want to buy chocolate on a Web site.
Moreover, if I like chocolates, I’ll search for “handmade chocolates filled with liqueurs Douglas”,” handmade chocolates stuffed with fruits Dallas” and so on. Unless you believe that a large chocolate brand can easily achieve rankings on such specific and geo-localized keywords… Whereas a small company can do it quite easily, that it targets such keywords with a long tail Seo strategy.
SEO long tail, the importance of blogs
Blogs I created and I manage normally have a number of visits of three to four times that of the site which they belong or which they link to. This is the case, for example, of www.abris-de-charme.com/blog, or www.oil-live.com , respectivel . Indeed, on a blog you can write posts that cover a very wide range of topics related to the small company core business, thus gaining top rankings for thousands keywords. The proof is in the pictures below, displaying the main traffic providing keywords for www.abris-de-charme.com:
1. not provided (not supplied): this are very varied keywords with one or two visits for each keyword, for a total of 4166, so 88% of visits come from keywords found above on the blog, which deals with arguments that sometimes have an indirect relationship with Swimming pool enclosures, which are the main focus of the site
2. veranda: French for sunroom -This is an important keyword, one of the main products of the site, so it’s normal that it is in second place, whatever, 21 visit to the keyword that represents one of the main purpose of the site is really little. I attribute this to the presence of many Internet websites of manufacturers and conservatory installers whose turnover is much higher than that of Charming Shelters
3. veranda kit – sunroom kit: mentioned only once, to say that the site does not sell verandas in kit, but wooden verandas
4. abris de charme : the company name
5. ral color: again, it is quite casual
6. wooden pergola: a main product site
7. abris de charme : the company name
9. url shortener used for a blog item
10. the most beautiful villas in the world, I have not even written an article on the most beautiful villas in the world, I just wrote an article on the most beautiful pools in the world, in which I wrote that these pools are often in splendid villas
11. idem, without spelling errors
12. veranda prices: Main product of the site
13. pool enclosure: Main product site
14. Wooden chalet again, it comes from a blog post, it’s not a product sold by the company or on the site.
1. Note the few visits on important keywords. For example, the site is third for on Google.fr “abri piscine bois,” (wooden pool enclosure), which brought him zero visits from 15 November to 15 December 2014, probably for the reason that one who is planning to buy a pool enclosure would rather rather be searching on Google “pool enclosure”plus the name of the city or county where he lives.
Conclusion: long tail SEO is the best strategy for SMEs
because one must also consider that when someone searches in Google “Adidas shoes,” it is much less willing to make a purchase than someone looking “Adidas tennis shoes for red clay.” But if I sell online tennis shoes, a well written blog post about the quality of Adidas tennis shoes for clay may well throw my website on the first page of Google results for the keyword phrase “Adidas shoes tennis for red clay. “The latter is probably 100 times less than desired “Adidas” at all, but those who strum it into the Google search field are 100 times more likely to buy shoes.
Thank you for your attention and your comments and suggestions …
Another example of a long-referencing behind even more eloquent:
The architect www.daedalus-architecture.fr site, you see the top 20 carriers keywords visits according to Google here on the right, receives most visits
420 words not provided (not supplied): this is very varied keywords with one or two visits for each keyword, for a total of 4166, so 88% of visits come from keywords found above on the blog, which deals with arguments sometimes have a relationship with only towards the shelters, which are the main focus of the site
amphibious house: a blog article with the same title www.daedalus-architecture.fr/blog
underground bunker luxury: there too, there is a blog item
Daedalus architecture: it is the name of the study of architects
mini house: a blog post amphibious house again, a blog post, the same as the number two above
an amphibious house too, a blog post, the same as the number two above
Conclusion: the long tail SEO is the best strategy for SMEs
Because we should also consider that when someone searches in Google “Adidas shoes,” it is much less willing to make a purchase than someone looking “Adidas tennis shoes for red clay.” But if I sell online tennis shoes, a well written blog post about the quality of Adidas tennis shoes for clay may well throw my website on the first page of Google results for the keyword phrase “Adidas tennis shoes for red clay. “The latter is probably 100 times less searched for than “Adidas”, but those who write it into the Google search field are 100 times more likely to buy shoes.
Thank you for your attention and your comments and suggestions …